Cookie Consent by Free Privacy Policy Generator website TALK WITH WILLY MEETS SUG PRESIDENT, UNIJOS

Ticker

6/recent/ticker-posts

TALK WITH WILLY MEETS SUG PRESIDENT, UNIJOS

Interview with Joshua Adankala


The representation of a people according to the recommended pattern is one that a lot of people dream of, but very few eventually succeed at. Talk with Willy had the privilege this month to meet one of such persons. Our interview today was one we dreamed of from the time we conceived Talk with Willy, and having it finally happen is a milestone achievement for us.

Before we go into today’s interview, if you missed the interview with Michael Agwulonu or with Chamdang Bako, you can always return to read them.

As it has always been our aim to provide maximum value to our largest audience, students within the Jos metropolis, we knew that one sure way to connect effectively would be to meet up with key players and stakeholders and this month, we’ve done nothing short of that through our interviews.

We’ve still got one more in the bag, but this time, we’re proud to present to the tribe an interview with an astute leader. He is the biggest student name within the University of Jos and rightfully so. He has a leadership style that a lot of others could and should learn from.


TWW tribe, our special correspondent, Penny had a chat with the Student Union Government president of the University of Jos. He talked about his leadership, being a student, and the coming elections. It was rather unfortunate that we couldn't get his opinion on the ASUU strike, but we'll try to bring you that some other time, maybe in another interview. Well, 
here’s what they had to talk about:

TWW: It's a delight meeting you, sir. Can you introduce yourself to our readers?

DJA: My name is Danladi Joshua Adankala, a 500-level student of Civil Engineering and President, Student Union Government, University of Jos.

TWW: We'd talk about your tenure later, experience and all, but for now, let's talk about how you got here. What made you aspire to be the SUG president, the number one student in the school? Was it the appeal, fame, perks etc.?

DJA: I contested the position of president for the sole purpose of service to the students of the University of Jos. It wasn't about fame and all that you've mentioned. Well, I now have those things you mentioned but they all came in as a result of my willingness to serve.

TWW: Did you have mentors in leadership you worked with, like former presidents etc?

DJA: Yes, I had mentors and former presidents like Dr Jurbe, Fwanshak Pantu, Samson Luka, Sidney Daman etc. who saw the need to support me from the time I contested and even in the office.

TWW: Are you eligible to contest again? If yes, would you like to, and why?

DJA: I'm not eligible to contest, I am in my final class and even if I'm eligible to, I'll not. I've contributed my quota, and other students should have the platform too while I look forward to bigger responsibilities.

TWW: Since you got elected, would you say you've met what you expected or has it been a case of what I ordered vs. what I got?

DJA: I didn't expect anything less, I had almost all the former presidents supporting me so I was made to understand exactly how it works, and when there is a challenge, I'll always go back to them.

TWW: We know that there's an increase in insecurity across the country, and you're a student leader in one of the most sensitive states in the country across political, ethnic, and religious divides. How has this impacted your job, has it given you less to do or more? Can you share a bit?

DJA: Seriously, the insecurity in this region has given me more jobs to do in my leadership role. If you could recall sometime last year, our students were been killed as a result of the crisis in Jos, and the school was closed for months.  In between the crisis, I had to go around hospitals in search of our students, and to date, some haven’t been found.

Seriously, the insecurity in this region has given me more jobs to do in my leadership role

TWW: Your tenure has run over a calendar year now, thanks to the strike, and other factors. We'd like to know if the constitution allows the perks of your position to continue irrespective of the calendar period or do you only enjoy them when school is in session.

DJA: The SUG is an organ of NANS, and the NANS calendar is not consistent. What I mean by consistent is that not all schools have the same academic calendar, it can be the first semester in school A and the second semester in school B and school C will be on break. Therefore, the NANS activities run throughout the year covering every institution. So whether in school or not, all administrative activities continue.

TWW: Now, let's talk about you as a student. You're an engineering student and SUG president. How do you manage it? Are you entitled to certain privileges and considerations by academic staff or are you considered equal with other students?

DJA: I'm an SUG president but when I go back to the class I'm a full student. There is no special consideration academically. I do my assignments, test, and exams and attendance in class must be as required. I just do my best using both day and night to balance my activities.

There is no special consideration academically. I do my assignments, test, and exams and attendance in class must be as required.

TWW: Does this apply to the other student leaders you work with or you cannot speak for them?

DJA: I honestly cannot speak for other student leaders. It's my own principle to not allow my position to influence my academics in any way.

TWW: Also, your signature is a talking point for many people, it’s uniquely mathematical. What inspired this dy/dx style signature for you?

Joshua Adankala signature

DJA:
About my signature, I hope I'll not end up confusing you; there are two significant parts of the signature that you should understand. The whole signature signifies SUCCESS.

The two components are:

1. Area of a circular Pipe ( Ï€D²/4) A circular pipe has the shape of a circle, and we know that circles are Universal symbols of infinity which represents endlessness. That is why rings are used to take wedding vows as a symbol that the union is endless. Circles have no starting point and no endpoint, So the whole of that part of the signature stands for endlessness.

2. Integration is a way of uniting the part to find a whole. In integral calculus, we find a function whose differential is given. Thus integration is the inverse of differentiation. Integration is used to define and calculate the area of the region bounded by the graph of functions. Now when you unite parts to get a whole, it means growth, it means increase. What are we integrating, and what are we growing or increasing? We are integrating, growing, and increasing the name that is inside the bracket which is my name (Adankala)². We are not only growing and increasing Adankala once but there is a power of 2 at the top of the bracket which means the growth the increase should be doubled. Summarily, the signature entails that growth, increase, and success should be endless.

TWW: Wow that just blew my mind, that’s almost the abstract of a thesis. So, your excellent leadership has earned you accolades and additional leadership positions, not only in UJ but across the country, most recently you were chosen as the vice chairman of SUG presidents in the North. How have you used this to improve the image of UJ and Jossite in the public eye?

DJA: As the vice chairman of the Northern Nigeria SUG presidents which I'm currently acting as the chairman cause of the contest for NANS president that the chairman is contesting, I've been able to attract a few things to Unijos. I'll say some while some I'll not say: Today, we'll be going for NANS convention with a candidate from Unijos contesting for the position of senate president. I've been able to leverage this position as an advantage to canvas votes from other presidents. It'll be a great advantage that the NANS senate president is from Unijos.

TWW: Would you say UJ has a great online representation in the internet space, as a local community and in relation to other schools, especially in the South?

DJA: Talking about online representation, Unijos has a long way to go honestly compared to other institutions, especially from the south.

TWW: How do you think media agencies and platforms, such as Talk with Willy blog can improve on that?

DJA: Since our paths have crossed, we will work together to enhance the media visibility of the university of Jos.

TWW: We would look forward to that; it’s an exciting promise we’d hold on to. We never end an interview, even one as wonderful as this, without talking about the coming elections. First, how would you review this outgoing government, at the Federal and state levels?

DJA: Every reasonable Nigerian is aware of the things that are happening in the political arena and I'll not say I'm not aware. 

TWW: How about the 3 front runners for the presidential elections, what do you think of them?

DJA: It’s clear that Nigerians are yearning for good leadership as we can see from the agitations, there is hope indeed for Nigerians. It's not the regular or normal elections we usually have.

TWW: We won't ask you to spill, but do you have a preferred candidate already?

DJA: You can randomly ask on the street and you'll hear the ordinary Nigerian mentioning only one name for you.. Unless for personal interest they'll always call one name.

TWW: Thank you very much for your time, sir. We hope to do this again sometime in the future. 

DJA: It's my pleasure. 

Post a Comment

0 Comments