Cookie Consent by Free Privacy Policy Generator website I REJECTED BANKING JOB OFFERS

Ticker

6/recent/ticker-posts

I REJECTED BANKING JOB OFFERS

 Talk with Willy Meets a Mining Engineer


The labour market, as it's popularly known, can be a tough thing to break for a lot of people. Young graduates tend to spend an average of two years trying to land decent jobs, and the majority of this population eventually settle for a job they didn't intend getting, they just want to get something to keep body and soul together. 

In the month of October, we'd be meeting with associates and mid-level professionals who have built some portfolio and gained adequate experience in their professions. They'd be sharing on their stories, what getting a job was like, the ups and downs of job hunting, and how young graduates can break into the market. 

Our first chat is with a mining engineer, who was raised in the beautiful tin city of Jos. Readers, let's catch up with Mos B, as he's popularly called. 

TWW: I'm Penny from TWW. Can we meet you? 

MB: I am Moses Blessed Ibrahim, I hail from Plateau State, Nigeria. Born and raised in the beautiful city of Jos but currently residing in Auchi, Edo state. I Am a geologist and Miner by profession, a lover of God and good music


TWW: Could you tell a bit about your educational background and what you do right now? 

MB: I am a graduate of Geology and Mining from the prestigious University of Jos. I am a Mining Engineer with a construction company here in Edo State.

TWW: Is this where you’d wanted to be about 5 years ago?

MB: I’m grateful for the level I have attained so far although I’m not where I had hoped to be. 

TWW: So, what has the job been like? Would you say you're living the professional dream life?

MB: I have been working for about 3 years now and the experience has been a mix of everything sweet and practical. This job has served as an eye opener on so many things, work inclusive. I’m living the dream and I hope to make a notable impact in the mining sector. I also want to carve my own niche and be good at it.

TWW: Considering the challenges of job hunting in Nigeria,  how were you able to break into the market and stay relevant?

MB: I believe personal development is key to attaining whatever position one seeks in life. To stay relevant, you must learn to invest in yourself, be open to criticism, build strategic relationships and connect with people in your field. This is how I stay relevant in my field.

TWW: Could you share a bit of your story with us, how you came to find your place in the labour market? 

MB: After the compulsory one-year service where I worked with the Federal Ministry of Housing, I moved to the city of Jos and hoped to find mining or geological firms to apply. I soon realized that only those with work experiences were picked and considering I had only theoretical knowledge, I wasn’t selected.

I joined the educational sector after that setback and worked diligently whilst rejecting other offers from the banking sectors. Sometime in 2020, the big break happened and the opportunity to work with one of the biggest firms in Nigeria came. I was actually referred to by one of my strategic relationships as I mentioned earlier. 

TWW: So, from your story and other experiences you've had or heard of, what advice would you give to young job seekers looking to go white collar? 

MB: To all job seekers, personal development and building strategic relationships will aid you in this journey. Ensure you have sufficient information and learn from others in your field as well.

TWW: Another issue is remuneration, how do you as a full-time staff meet up with the ever increasing cost of living with a fixed salary? 

MB: Proper financial planning and multiple streams of income alongside good investments and saving has helped me cope and I’m sure it would help you as well.


TWW: What do you think can be done to compensate for this difficulty, on the path of the government and that of employers of labour?

MB: Good governance is what we ask of our leaders. They should create an environment for youths to strive economically and otherwise. It is also important to implement good policies to help young businesses or firms grow. Employers of labour should learn to give job seekers the platform to gain the work experience they require to thrive.

TWW: Do you have any final words to say?

MB: As a youth, whatever job or business you’re seeking to venture, prepare ahead, get sufficient information, build strategic relationships, put in extra efforts, trust God and never give up. Thank you so much, Talk with Willy, and I hope my little contribution will help.

TWW: Thank you for having us

MB: It's my pleasure


Post a Comment

4 Comments

  1. I loved this, thank you 😊

    ReplyDelete
  2. Amazing and inspiring I must say.

    I'm honestly happy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oops...sorry about that 😂

      I'm sha happy for Moses and hope the dreams of every hard working youth gets to be their reality.
      #loveandlight

      -favourite reader.

      Delete