Cookie Consent by Free Privacy Policy Generator website WHY YOU SHOULDN'T TRY EVERYTHING OUT

Ticker

6/recent/ticker-posts

WHY YOU SHOULDN'T TRY EVERYTHING OUT

What is a Niche and Why Should You Have One

When I started my social media page, I was very confused. I wanted to own a sneaker store but I also wanted to have a digital marketing page. At some point I wanted to combine both of them on the same page. But later on, I learnt the importance of picking a niche and that helped me decide what to do. 

I decided to pick one niche for my page and stick to it. So now my page is strictly for digital marketing. Would you like to know exactly what I learnt? I'll let you in on it soon but first let's talk about what a niche is.

 A niche in simple terms is a category or group a creator or business belongs to. For example, some people are in the food niche, some are in the entertainment niche, some are in finance niche etc. Every post on social media can be categorized under a group or category and that group is called a niche. 

A sub niche is a niche under a niche. A niche can also be subdivided into more groups. For example, if I should divide the digital marketing niche, I will still find other categories such as Email marketing, Branding, Web development, social media management etc. Sub niching is important because it brings you better targeted prospects or audiences. 

Let's use Bola as a case study; Bola sells baby food. She posts content about teenage nutrition, adult nutrition, how to feed convalescents, etc. This attracted people who are interested in food but not necessarily the type of food she sells. She gets a lot of engagement on her posts, but when she posts an offer about her products people barely respond. This is because she did not niche down properly. Assuming she exclusively posts content about kids nutrition, she would have attracted mostly parents with kids so that when she finally posts her sales offer, people will turn up. 

Why You Should Niche Down 

1. It Helps You Build Consistency 

When you have a niche, it is easier to keep on with that particular subject as opposed to having a whole lot other topics to research and create content on. This will also make it easier for you audience to recognize you and keep up with your brand. 

2. It Helps Your Audience Understand You and Your Brand Better

When you niche down, it is easier for your audience to know what you're about. So that when they need that particular thing, they know that your page is where they'll find it. 

I was scrolling on my insta feed one day when I saw an ad for sneakers. As a sneaker freak that I am, I had to check it out.

 Since I didn't have the money to buy it at that time, I decided to follow the page so I wouldn't miss out on their next collection. A few weeks later I came back to the page to window shop sneakers but what I saw instead was jewelries. After almost a week, I checked again and saw thrift clothes. That was when I decided to unfollow the page. 

 This happens with most people also. If people follow you because you post gospel quotes and come back next week to see that you've ventured into stand up comedy what do you think they'll do ?

3. It Helps You Build Authority on the Subject

Instead of being a jack of all trade and master of none, it is better to be specialized in one sub niche and be recognized as an expert in that niche.

4. It Reduces Competition and Increases SEO Ranking 

This is even more effective when you choose a sub niche. Since almost everyone is going for the bigger niches, there won't be a lot of people available to drag your sub niche with you. E.g, instead of struggling for ranking with big gurus in the finance niche, you can create a sub niche; finance for teenagers. Since not as much people are into this, it'll mean less competition and more SEO ranking for you.

5. It Can Be Very Profitable

This is why niching down as narrowly as you can is very important. Most people go for popular niches forgetting that there's still a demand to be met no matter how little. When you focus on that little audience that everyone seems to be forgetting, you'll find that it's very profitable especially since there's little or no competition.

Niching down is great and subniching is even better. Now that you know why it's important for you to pick a category and stick to it, you should go and find the perfect niche to help you achieve your goals. Would you like to know the three most important criterias to consider when choosing a niche? Stick around. I'll be talking about it in my next post.



Post a Comment

2 Comments

  1. Very apt. Thank you for this post sir.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're welcome! And I'm a lady 😊

      Delete