Cookie Consent by Free Privacy Policy Generator website THE CALL (2)

Ticker

6/recent/ticker-posts

THE CALL (2)

 Promise Gets The Call

Dashing into the house, Promise looked around for the nearest sign of danger or doom  but she couldn't find any. The house was empty, so she could breathe easy a bit. She had to be sure though, so she picked up her phone to call one of her siblings. 

As she hit the dial button, she heard sounds coming from a room and before she could check it out, a person showed up. It was her younger sister, Nkiru. 

The fourth child of the family, Nkiru was considered the most beautiful of the three ladies, and it was hard to argue. Tall and slender, with smooth, fair skin, the biggest rival her good looks had was her equally impressive manners. Her charming smile with her perfect set of teeth was the biggest feature she had that Promise coveted. 

Greeting Promise, Nkiru sat down as she picked up her phone. 

"Where were you?" asked Promise, "and where is everyone else?"

"I was in the toilet" answered Nkiru. "The boys went to play game at John's place and Baby hasn't returned with mummy"

Now, Promise could rest easy, there was no cause to panic.

"Have you eaten?" she asked

"Not this evening, I actually didn't finish my afternoon food. I'd eat it after this movie"

"I might help you with it, don't worry"

"It's mine, not yours."

"Keep watching your movie, I'll be back" Promise said as she dashed off with Nkiru on her heels. 

it was 8 pm and the family had just had dinner. They were reclining in front of the TV and even though the TV was on, almost everyone's attention was in front of one small screen or the other, games or social media was on the menu. Promise was chatting with Chidi, her main guy. they had been dating for months, but she didn't think he was the one. he was a good guy, but not the one, he was short of the cutoff mark, but until she found another who was better, she was stuck with him. She had told him how her day turned out to be another fruitless day, but didn't mention the scare she had almost given herself. 

She was still chatting with him when Baby (her real name was Sandra) came in with her small phone that was ringing. It was an unregistered number and she couldn't think of a caller.

she picked the call and the voice she heard on the other end wasn't a familiar one:

"Is this promise?" the voice asked

"Yes, but who is this?"

"Is this really Promise, promise Maduka?"

"Yes, it is. Good evening"

"And you studied accounting, right?"

Something didn't feel right, and she was not getting concerned. This stranger knew her and it didn't sound like a prank, she couldn't think of a friend who would do this to her. 

"Look, you might know me and that worries me somewhat, but if you can't introduce yourself to me and tell me how you got my number, then I don't think I should be talking to you. so would you explain yourself?"

"I'm not sure that's necessary. I have to -"

she didn't let him finish before she cut the call. it was worrisome that a stranger could have so much information on her. the voice wasn't familiar so she couldn't think of the person. she was still thinking when the phone rang again, it was the same number. 

"please, who are you and why are you calling me tired night?" she immediately said, she was about to lose her calm

"Promise, could you just be a bit patient as I confirm certain details to be sure I have the right person?"

"right person n what right person? I don't know you and why do you think I would even-"

"Does this mean you've found a job now and you don't need my help anymore?"

It took a few seconds for promise to confirm that she heard him right. he surely didn't just mention a job, did he?

"what did you just say?" she asked

"if you didn't hear me the first time, I'm asking if you've gotten a job now and you don't need my help anymore." he repeated. 

now she was sure it was what he said. 

"I'm sorry, sir. I don't know you, but you're talking about a job and you seem to know I need one. I am interested but how can you help me when I don't know you?"

"That should be my secret, I can't tell you the answer to that yet. If you want my help and you want this job, you'd have to play by my rules. Are we clear on this?"

What kind of a twisted saga was this? Was she this desperate for a job? Did she know what she was getting into, and what did he mean by his rules? Was this what it now took to survive, and why her of all people?

She was about to tell him off with strong expletives when she looked and saw Baby, who couldn't sit for her JAMB exams last year because they couldn't realistically fund her if she got into school. this was why she now had to spend an extra year around, helping her mother with her trade. promise couldn't deny this little girl the chance to get an education because of her pride.

"Are you still there?" he called her back to earth

"Yes, I guess we're clear, though I still don't know who you are."

"Don't worry about me at all, we would meet in due time when the time is right"

"Okay, so what do I have to do, and what do I call you? I'd need a name for you if we're going to keep talking"

"Forget about a name, you can choose what you want to call me by yourself. About what you have to do, it's not so difficult, for now. Your first task is a business meeting with a friend at Elite Hotel on Friday. 

"You're to meet with him and spend nothing more than 15 minutes, I repeat, not more than 15 minutes. He would try to keep you longer than that, but you can't spend a minute more. 

"Send me your account number so I'd send your transport money for the day.

"I'd be expecting your message. Goodnight and good luck."

He didn't even let her say anything else, he ended the call, just like that. 

Promise didn't know what was about to unfold, but this man had just asked for her account number, and she needed money. 

Post a Comment

0 Comments